“My house is on the market, we’ve had a good number of viewings but it’s just not budging! Is there anything I can do to make my house more appealing?”
If this sounds familiar, you’ve come to the right place!
We’ve put our heads together and come up with some easy ways to make your house more attractive to potential buyers. We’ve come up with some easy tips on how you can make your house more saleable, without it costing a fortune!
Keep it clean and tidy
- Pop down to your local Tesco and hire a Rug Doctor. For less than £30 you can give your carpets a complete refresh.
- Walking into a bad smelling property can put off potential buyers within seconds. Light scented candles, spray air fresheners or you could bake a loaf of bread, or even a delicious cake, making your property smell mouth-wateringly good.
- Everyone loves a bit of sparkle! Polish your taps, door handles, tiles, mirrors and door stops. You’d be surprised at the difference it will make!
- De-clutter! Clear dining tables, kitchen work tops, coffee tables, tops of wardrobes and anything else that looks untidy.
- Clean the windows, inside and out, this will let more light in and make your home more vibrant and exciting!
- If someone in your household smokes, leave bowls of vinegar out for a couple of days and try to leave the windows open, this will help to alleviate the smell.
- Keep doorways, hallways and pathways clear.
- Try to ensure the bathroom towels are always fluffy, clean and displayed in a ‘Show Home’ fashion.
- Steam clean your bathroom and kitchen tiles. This is an easy and effective way of getting rid of grubby grout.
- Tidy the loft space, if you have it, as potential buyers like to see what storage space is available. If the loft is cluttered with boxes, it can look a lot smaller than it actually is.
Make a couple of small changes
- Fresh bedding is always a good idea and make sure the beds are made.
- Create the illusion of more space with large mirrors, as they make the room look bigger and brighter.
- Invest in a new shower curtain. These can easily get really grubby, so getting a new one will add to the cleanliness of the property.
- If you’ve got the money and your kitchen worktops could do with a refresh, upgrade them. This can add serious value to the property.
- Change the handles on kitchen cabinets, as this gives the kitchen a fresh look without spending lots of money. Make sure the new handles are polished to perfection.
- Something to do if you have some time on your hands - neutralise the walls. When walls are painted bright or bold colours, it’s difficult for potential buyers to see the house as their own, neutral colours work a treat though!
- Potential buyers love a Show Home! Stock the fruit bowl, dress the dining room table and place vases of flowers around the house.
- Pop a few indoor plants around the house, this will brighten the area.
- Sparingly display family photos, potential buyers like to visualise themselves in the house. Don’t hide everything though - you want the house to look like a home and not a hotel.
Updating the outside
- Cut the grass, as this makes the front and rear gardens look tidy and looked after.
- If you’re a keen gardener, you’ll already have this one covered! Give the garden a splash of colour by planting some colourful flowers and shrubs.
- Clear the garage and driveway, this shows potential buyers what space they have to play with.
- Jet wash the patio and it’ll look as good as new.
- Clean any outdoor furniture and alongside the freshly jet washed patio this will look amazing.
- The front door is one of the first things potential buyers will see, so give it a fresh coat of paint. This creates a great first impression.
- Clear the gutters. This one is a big job but it will make a huge difference.
On the day of a viewing
- Make sure all blinds and curtains are open to allow as much natural light in as possible.
- Try to take pets out, not everyone is a fan. If they’re greeted by a dog or other pet, it could put them off immediately.
- Open windows and any patio doors, weather permitting, this will make the property seem brighter and get rid of any unwanted lingering smells.
- Make sure all the lights are on, especially in any smaller rooms.
- Go out! Potential buyers will feel awkward with your hovering over them whilst they’re trying to have a look around. They’re much less likely to hang around and picture themselves living in your property if you’re there. Don’t worry, your estate agent will be able to answer any questions they have.
Alongside all of our handy tips, professional photography is a must when you’re selling your home. If your current estate agent isn’t presenting your home in the best possible light, people won’t be interested in viewing it in the first place, let alone making an offer.
Prospect offers professional photography as standard, for all of our properties.
Arrange your free, no obligation property valuation to discuss how we will showcase your home in the best possible light to attract the right buyers! Book now at www.prospect.co.uk/valuation